Thursday, February 24, 2011

What Makes An Older Person A Gamer






The way that I do things is okay with me. Even as I have become a senior citizen, I still am able to find many things that I like to do. I still find enjoyment in doing something that is also enjoyed by a younger generation. When Christmas rolled around this year we were able to surprise our grandchildren with one of the motion gaming systems and with the recent xbox 360 kinect release date we were able to get him something that not all of his friends had, but the amazing part was how much fun it was for me to play the games with my grandchildren.

There were video games available when I was a kid. Over the years the way people are gaming has changed a lot. My first gaming platform was a clunky system that played only one game. I could tell right away that the newer platforms were nothing like what I first had. No longer was I going to have to have a controller in my hand. Everything was going to be done wirelessly. Playing video games was no longer a couch potato sport. Playing video games was going to better than ever because of this.

Everyone in our family got involved with playing video games on this special holiday. When I played, I could feel my heart pumping. The physical activity was exhilarating. Over the course of the next few weeks we joined in to the gaming fun with the young members of our family which helped us decide on something. It was time for us to buy our own gaming platform. We felt that it would help our bodies and would be fun for us to do. It definitely produced the results that we wanted.

There were three different systems for us to choose from, the Nintendo Wii, the Playstation Move, and the xbox 360 kinect, and there seemed to be good things and bad things about each system but in the end we chose the Xbox since that is what my grandchildren already had and they would be able to enjoy it whenever they came over to visit at our house. Along with the platform we purchased a couple of games that we thought we would enjoy and that others would also enjoy.

A game that was going to help us workout was our first choice once we brought the system home. The game made me feel like I a part of the action. The game allowed for multiple players and my partner so was playing alongside me. This was an unexpected benefit. It did not matter whether it was raining or snowing out as we were still able to exercise. We had often used the weather outside as a reason to stay home and sit in front of the television to watch a movie rather than doing some type of exercise. Our new gaming platform solved that problem. The positive effects of regular physical activity became apparent to us soon after we started using the new platform. Staying active is one of the best ways for a person to maintain their health, something that is well known. It was not long before we got some of our friends interested in the gaming system and they started exercising with us.

Although we got a lot of enjoyment out of playing the games, we found it even better when other people joined in with us. I played the games in my room alone when I was a kid. Gamers now are much more social. There are times when I can go online and play a game with my grandchildren even if they are not with me. Video games has built a bridge between the generations and also to people I did not expect to have any relationship with. I did not know that would happen.

No comments: